Are you studying? You have a paper to write, a lot of homework to complete, and you are just not in the mood to do it? You definitely have to read this post: even though it can add to your procrastination, it will help in the end!
Procrastination often occurs when we are faced with a big project, a long paper, or an important test to study for: we usually procrastinate with activities that require a lot of concentration and time. Procrastination: leaving all the work we have to do for later. For example, when we have to study for an important test, sometimes we suddenly really “need” to clean our room… it is not a bad thing to clean the room, but is not the right time to do it if the priority is to study for your test.
We all procrastinate, but here are some tips to learn to be more efficient and stop procrastinating:
- Begin the work: If you think about all the work you have to do, you will never achieve anything. Just sit down and begin. Fight the urge to keep looking at the clock, especially on a deadline. Postponing work just ensures that we will have less time to do it before it needs to get done.
- Split the bigger homework tasks into smaller ones: One of the reasons we postpone homework is because it can sometimes seem to be too much to complete. To make it easier, divide each task into smaller parts. Starting the homework practically and simply makes sure that the tasks will be completed quickly and efficiently.
- Make a plan or a To-Do list: When we split up our work, it is important to schedule everything in order to have enough time to do it. Make a To-Do list and prioritize each task, including deadlines for each. Remember that everything that is written in the schedule must be completed.
- Look for a suitable place to study: If we are tired of being in the same chair, looking at the same things in our study spot, it is time to go out and look for a different place to work. Even if we move to another room in the house, a change of scenery can motivate and inspire.
- Have a partner: There are times that we will feel the need to work with someone or just have somebody around as company when we’re studying or working. It is not necessary that a study partner does the same work that we are doing, but any person with whom we feel comfortable can make things easier.
- Face your fears: Sometimes procrastination is also a fear of success. Postponement sometimes means that we are scared of achieving our goals. Don’t be scared of achievement. If we are happy with what we are doing, we will automatically succeed.
- Eliminate distractions: Sometimes it doesn’t matter how focused we are, sometimes we get distracted. If we are conscious of our actions, and take care not to get distracted by our email, Twitter, Facebook, or other social networks.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses: It is very useful to know our strengths, because it helps us be more efficient and effective with our time. Knowing our weaknesses will help us overcome them.
- Avoid stress: When we are stressed out, we aren’t able to focus while we work or study. Sleeping enough, eating healthy, practicing a sport or exercising, and using our time wisely are healthy practices that will make our work more enjoyable and easier.
- Finish the work: Not completing the homework only makes things more difficult later on. It’s important not to skip the work as it is planned: if it’s left incomplete, it can be difficult to go back to where we left off.
Leave a Reply